The column formwork systems now available are normally modular in nature and allow quick assembly and erection on-site while minimising labour and crane time.
They are available in steel, aluminium and even cardboard (not reusable but recycled) and have a variety of internal face surfaces depending on the concrete finish required.
Innovations have led to adjustable, reusable column forms which can be clamped on-site to give different column sizes.
- Increased speed and efficiency in construction
- The requirement of skilled labour is reduced due to the simplicity of assembly and disassembly.
- Metal column forms can be assembled and erected more easily than traditional formwork. Disposable forms come ready assembled to site.
- High quality surface finishes are possible.
- The highly engineered nature of the metal formwork system enables precision adjustment to the formwork.
- Metal formwork systems can have integral ready-to-use concreting platforms with guard rails and access equipment including ladders. This reduces the need for independent access.
- For systems with disposable formwork, working platforms for concreting have to be erected separately to allow safe access to the top of the column forms.
- Formwork systems are available which need to be worked only from one side. This could be an important safety consideration for columns situated at building edges and corners.
- Metal systems typically provide robust assemblies.
- Assembly process is simple allowing site operatives to become familiar with health and safety aspects.
- Normally these formwork systems require minimal use of power tools.